top of page

Important Information

Below you'll find a list of our most frequently asked questions. We've done our best to make it as comprehensive as possible, but if your question isn't answered please don't hesitate to contact us.

Asset 1.png
  • Are donations tax deductible?
  • Is there a fee to enter the horse area?
    There is no fee to enter the Piceance-East Douglas HMA (Herd Management Area). The range is public BLM land and is managed by the White River Field Office located in Meeker, CO.
  • Is there cell service in the HMA?
    Cell coverage is sparse. It is possible to find good coverage. It really depends on your carrier and your location within the HMA. Do not rely on your cell phone having service.
  • Are there restrooms available?
    Only one at Yellow Creek Corals. It is an outhouse so there is no running water.
  • Is there a gas station in the HMA?
    No. There are no services within the HMA. Closest fuel, food and lodging can be found in Meeker, Rangely or Rifle.
  • Are there campgrounds available?
    Dry camping only. No services are available. Pack it in, pack it out applies. BLM camping guidelines apply. Contact BLM for additional information.
  • What are the roads like?
    Roads in the HMA are packed gravel and dirt so dust is extreme when conditions are dry. Mud is a factor during spring melt off and stormy weather. Two-wheel drive is possible when roads are dry though four-wheel drive is recommended. Please check the forecast and plan accordingly. Visitors are responsible for knowing the limitations of their vehicle and driving abilities.
  • Are dogs allowed in the HMA?
    Dogs should be leashed and under owner’s control. Owners are responsible for ensuring their dogs do not chase or harass the horses or other wildlife. Be aware there are rattlesnakes in the HMA.
  • Are there gates in the HMA?
    Yes, but not many. Please leave gates as you find them.
  • What do I do if I have an emergency?
    There is no ranger station in the HMA. You will need to get to a spot where you have enough service to make a cell phone call or have an emergency device i.e. a Spot, with you.
  • What do I do if I see a wildfire?
    Please report via a 911 call giving the location of the fire to the best of your ability.
  • What do I do if I see an injured horse?
    Contact the White River Field Office at 970-878-3800. Please be as location specific as possible. If the horse is mobile gather as many identifying details as possible including any horses that seem to be a part of the injured horses’ band. Take a photo if you can.
  • Can I approach the horses?
    Wild mustangs are wild animals and should be respected as such. Please do not try to pet or approach them. Their curiosity can appear as friendliness however they are prey animals and are easily startled. They can react by kicking, biting or inadvertently running over you in a rush to move to safety. If approached, please back away and give them some space.
  • Can I feed the horses?
    No. Wild animals should never be fed. Their diets are specific to their environment and feeding leads to aggressive and dangerous behaviors. Please refer to Tips for Wild Horse Viewing.
bottom of page